Sunday, February 17, 2013

Are you afraid to dance?

I know for a fact that everyone gets scared of trying new things. I remember talking about dance in my creative writing class in my last semester of high school, and a few people said, "Dancing is something I wish I continued, or wish that they had tried." If this is a problem for anyone, then I have a story for you.

I had to switch dance schools when I was headed into 7th grade because my first dance teacher decided to retire. I went to this new dance school, and those girls had so much more experience than me. I made some friends at first, and I knew some people, but as I got placed into the more advanced groups, the people I was friends with drifted away toward the other girls, or some of them quit. I felt like I was my own outcast with all these talented dancers around me. They were friends with everyone, and joked around with the teacher and each other. But whenever I talked, it felt awkward. I was the quietest girl out of any of them. I remember one day, my dance teacher said, "Nora, you're being too loud!" Joking around because I never had anything to say, so I wasn't actually being loud. I felt so much pressure to fit in, so I wanted out. Didn't want to be there anymore. I pushed through it though.

All of that happened in my Sophomore year of high school. I graduated from that dance school as a senior, with great relationships with my dance teachers, and the girls got a better sense of who I was I think. I felt like giving up something that's my passion because I felt like I didn't belong. I'm more than happy and proud of myself for getting through that horrible patch of my dance life, and finishing it up and not regretting a thing.

If any of you want to dance, go for it because chances are you'll either love it or hate it. And even if it's not with dance, push through any rough patch of life if you love what you're doing because it will only make you stronger.

No comments:

Post a Comment